Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Betz Pere de Famille 2003

My wife and had a bottle of Betz Pere de Famille Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 that I got a couple of years ago when I was in the Vino 100 Bellevue wine club. Kind of a pricey wine at around $50/bottle but we both hadn't tried it before and were interested in tasting it.

This bottle has been lying down for a couple of years in our Eurocave and I think it's done it some good although we both agreed it could even get better over a few more years.

Just as an aside, I'm not going to post something about every wine we taste, there are far better people to tell you about that. I will mention some of the outstanding ones, which is the reason why I'm writing about this wine.

It was a very tasty wine, lots of nice fruit, more on the berry side with a fair amount of toasty oak flavors such as chocolate, fennel and nutmeg. The balance was really good although it was a touch astringent on the finish. Plenty of complexity and flavors. Not bitter (did have structure), not too acidic.

Quite a good wine, we're looking forward to our next bottle.

No comments: